Apr 05 , 2022
These carrot cake energy balls and bit lighter than their cacao-tahini sisters, and are the perfect grain-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free snack to enjoy anytime of the day! Packed with walnuts, which are a great source of plant-based omega 3s, as well as almond butter and coconut oil, these energy balls will give you a good dose of healthy fats and keep you feeling satiated for longer. Naturally sweetened by dates, carrot, ground cinnamon and desiccated coconut for that indulgent taste without the guilt.
Top tip: Cinnamon has been shown to help slow the absorption of sugars into the body and thereby stabilise blood sugar levels, which in turn helps to stabilise our mood and hormonal function. It's a good idea to add cinnamon whenever we're having something a little sweeter. It also tastes amazing on almost anything!
1 Small-Medium Carrot
1 TBSP Almond Butter
1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut (plus extra for coating)
2 TBSP Coconut Oil (melted)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Boil a kettle and half fill a mixing bowl with boiling water. Pit the dates and put them in the boiling water to soak for a few minutes.
- While the dates are soaking, place the walnuts and cinnamon into a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb. Place the dry mixture in a large bowl.
- Peel and finely grate the carrot and add it to dry mix along with the desiccated coconut.
- Drain the dates and place them in the food processor with the coconut and almond butter. Blitz until a relatively smooth, thick caramel consistency is formed.
- Add the date mixture to the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix thoroughly into a dough.
- Spread the extra desiccated coconut out onto a large plate. Using your hands, roll the mixture into small snack-size balls and then coat them in the coconut. Continue until all of the mixture of used up, and then freeze the balls for a few hours in the fridge to firm up.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week in an air-tight container, or in the freezer for up to a month.
We hope you enjoy this recipe, and please get in touch with any questions!
We'd also love to see your creations so please do share with us or on social media.